What is an FNOL?
FNOL stands for first notification of loss, and is usually the first step in the insurance claims process. It is the initial report made to an insurance provider following loss, theft, or damage of an insured asset.
Historically the FNOL is a manual, call centre-based service requiring extensive data gathering, but they can now be digitised. A digitised FNOL is referred to as an e-FNOL – Electronic First Notification of Loss. Functionality can allow e-FNOLS to be accessed by the claimant so that they can upload correspondence and evidence of the claim.
Why is an e-FNOL important?
- It empowers the Claims Handler – an e-FNOL can automate the mundane repetitive tasks and make claims processing easier and quicker.
- It improves the customer experience – by making claims processing easier and quicker, an e-FNOL will allow claims handlers more time to provide empathy and support for their customers. Additionally, the more information received the quicker claims can be settled. How the FNOL process is handled and the speed in which claims are settled can make or break a customer experience, and a good experience can result in customer loyalty.
- Reduces double keying – again this can reduce work for the Claims Handler and improve the claims service, speeding up claims handling, improving the customer experience and saving the company money.
- All information about the incident is received in one hit – all required information can be specified on the FNOL, and the fields can be set as mandatory fields to ensure that all information is gathered in one fell swoop, which again improves claims handling efficiency and service.
- Will reduce the cost of claims handling – statistics show that claims processing represents the single largest cost to insurers, so finding ways to speed up the process, reduce paper-based workflows and better manage the volume and complexity of claims will save money.
How can Alphatec help?
The aim of all Alphatec’s software solutions is to improve, streamline, and manage work processes better. Features of our software include task automation, workflow management, notifications and reminders, time recording and task allocation, at a glance work in progress and much more.
We can configure a bespoke e-FNOL for your organisation. This form can be linked to your own intranet / website, so that when data is entered, it directly populates the claim record. The e-FNOL can be claim type specific, so that once you have entered the claim type, only fields relevant to that claim type appear. Furthermore, the e-FNOL can be accessed via a client portal on your own website and your clients can enter the data themselves, view updates, status changes, and upload correspondence and evidence. Customer can also run their own detailed reports on a self-service basis via the client portal.
The best way to find out how our software can support your business is to book a demo