Customer service in claims management is a critical component, as it can help build trust with clients, increase customer satisfaction, while ensuring a smooth and efficient claims process. However, delivering exceptional customer service in claims management can be challenging, given the complexity and sensitivity of the claims process.
But those businesses that do prioritise customer service can differentiate themselves from competitors and establish long-term relationships with their customers.
So what are the key tips for providing great customer service in claims management?
One of the most important tips for great customer service in claims management is to be responsive. Claims handlers should be prompt in responding to client enquiries, whether through electronic first notification of loss (e-FNOL), phone, email, or other communication channel. Additionally, clients should find making a claim easy and accessible.
The responsiveness of claims handlers helps build trust and demonstrates a commitment to excellence in customer service.
Set Clear Expectations
Setting clear expectations is another critical component of great customer service in claims management. Clients should know what to expect throughout the claims process, including timelines, required documentation, and expected outcomes. Claims handlers should provide accurate and honest information to clients from the outset, which can help manage expectations and avoid misunderstandings or surprises that could lead to frustration and dissatisfaction.
Practice Active Listening
Active listening is a communication skill that involves fully focusing on the person speaking, understanding their perspective, and asking clarifying questions to ensure that you have understood them correctly. Active listening is an essential component of great customer service in claims management because it helps build rapport with clients, demonstrates empathy and understanding, and ensures that claims handlers have all the information they need to handle the claim effectively.
Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of others. In claims management, showing empathy to clients means that claims handlers can enhance the customer experience at a time when clients are most in need. Claims handlers should put themselves in their clients’ shoes and try to understand their perspective. Acknowledging their concerns and frustrations and communicating with compassion and understanding can help clients feel heard and valued.
Use Plain Language
Insurance terminology can be complex and confusing to clients, especially those who are not familiar with the claims process. Claims handlers should use plain language when communicating with clients to ensure that they understand the information being provided. Avoid using technical jargon or industry-specific language, and instead, explain concepts in simple, easy-to-understand terms.
Provide Regular Updates
Providing regular updates to clients is an essential component of great customer service in claims management. Clients should be kept informed of the status of their claim, any updates or changes to the claims process, and any issues or challenges that may arise. Regular updates can help manage client expectations, demonstrate a commitment to their claim, and reduce anxiety and uncertainty.
Following up with clients after their claim has been resolved is another critical component of great customer service in claims management. Asking clients for feedback on their experience, identifying areas for improvement, and showing appreciation for their business can help build trust, demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement, and increase customer loyalty and satisfaction.
How can ClaimControl, Alphatec’s claims management software system help?
- Responsiveness – We can configure a bespoke e-FNOL to be completed by the claim handler over the phone or where your clients enter the data themselves via a client portal. This can improve the responsiveness of claims management enhancing customer service in claims management.
- Set clear expectations – once the claim has been submitted, an auto-generated confirmation email can be sent to the client. This can be configured to detail any information you require for your workflow. For example, it can detail information relating to the claims process and be specific to a particular claim type. This information can include estimated timelines, required documentation, and expected outcomes.
- Practice active listening – Alphatec’s ClaimControl will improve claims management efficiency allowing more time for staff training and coaching. This means that staff can be supported in how best to communicate with customers to ensure that they offer the ultimate level of customer service.
- Show empathy – as with 3, above because claims handlers can manage more claims in less time, they will have more time and energy to provide first class customer service and empathy to the claimant.
- Use plain language – All fields within ClaimControl can be configured to your specific requirements, so you can use whatever terminology works for you and your customers.
- Provide regular updates – via the client portal in ClaimControl, claimants can monitor and view their claim as it progresses and see updates and status changes in real time. They can also upload correspondence and evidence and run their own detailed reporting on a self-serve basis, which is a game changer to customer service in claims management.
- Follow up – functionality within ClaimControl alerts relevant staff that a new claim is live and everyone who needs to be notified can be automatically alerted in real time. Then automatic action requests can also be pre-set to manage the claims process, and as one action is completed it triggers the next action in the workflow, and specific staff, with specific job roles are notified of the actions that they need to complete keeping communication and momentum flowing. This process driven automation can also ensure that regular communication and follow up notifications are sent to claimants as needed.
All Alphatec’s software solutions improve, streamline, and manage work processes better. Furthermore, depending on your organisation’s needs, we have additional modules that may be relevant to the types of claims you manage. For example, our property and motor modules, and business intelligence module. It is Alphatec’s aim to provide a software solution to improve and enhance your claims management process, so that you work more efficiently and save money. We also value the importance of good communication, and we will provide a software solution to enable you to provide the best service to your customers.
If you would like to hear more about our products and services, then contact us for a demo.